Monday, March 26, 2007

Binky's world

Off centre seems to be the theme this issue and nothing is more hilariously warped than www.sleepingkittty.blogspot.com. The author of this blog is Binky who describes herself as “a glorious specimen of the feline species”. Binky has been blogging in random bouts of productivity since March 2006 with the dedication and commitment of a lazy, egomaniacal, fat cat.

Background: Written by a student here at UKZN, Binky’s world chronicles the life of a Tiara Wearing Fat Cat often with painful humour and remarkable poise. Her daily adventures include philosophising over the greater uses of kibble with her flea friends Billy and Betty and chanting “love me, feed me, never leave me”. She is constantly at odds with the unobservant world and revels in lamenting the shortcomings of her human counterparts. When Binky isn’t severely brutalized by being treated like anything less than the Lord of the Household, she concerns herself with the paramount and insurmountable task of deciding her culinary requirements. After a break from the blogging world, Binky returned this year with the following message: “Ok, so it's been ages since I last wrote. But seriously, what do you retards think? That I'm at your beck and call for your amusement? I'm a cat for God's sake, not a drooling mind-dead dog!! But I know that my legions of fans have been calling for my return, so here I am.” She has since put out one post titled “I piss on you and your new smell,” which is an invaluable gem to any aspiring cat keeper, also possibly the most amusing post Binky has put out to date asserting and entrenching her authority as a vain, conceited feline.

Presentation: Binky’s world is the absolute height of laziness. It has a background, a foreground, a themed colour scheme and one sidebar widget. Originality is not its forte. While there aren’t any script errors or html code errors, it is equally true that there isn’t aesthetic appeal. Binky is admittedly an anti-social creature and accordingly hasn’t put out a blogroll, nor does she subscribe to any rss feeds, pictures are somewhat too burdensome and therefore absent – her presentation is amusingly standard.

Verdict: www.sleepingkitty.blogspot.com is ostensibly about a cat, however on closer inspection one will discover that it is really about the trials and tribulations of a sublimely over active imagination. It is blogs such as Binky’s world that reaffirms my faith in the weird, bizarre and uncanny individuals who are essential to balancing the often morbidly serious blogosphere. With a few aesthetic tweaks Binky’s world could very well be the George Orwell of our time.

1 comment:

Sands said...

I want an apology!!! I am not a girl!!